Friday, December 7, 2007

What a day....

My trip to Minneapolis was cancelled. I don't know who was more disappointed me or the girls. Anyway I really wanted to go to a Burlington Coat Factory store for some xmas shopping. And make a run to Aldi's for xmas baking. And just to go shopping...
So I debated on going to Omaha for a day to do my shopping.And the girls had their school workmade up for the day. At the last minute I decided just to stay home, work, and reschedule the Minneapolis trip.
On so many levels that was a good decision.
While trying to be productive and get some work done Zach calls from school.
Zach says "What are you doing right now?"
I reply " Just sitting here in my pjs not doing a thing." (He believes my sarcasm.)
Zach- " Good . Can you come get me right away as I don't feel good at all."
Me- " Sure I will be there soon."
35 minutes later I arrive at school as we live 24 miles from school.
He comes bolting out of the door of school when I pull up. He jumps in the suburban and says "I need to get home. I'm really sick."
As soon as we get home he is "sick".
He goes to bed and sleeps a couple hours. I leave to run a quick an errand.
When I arrive home he tells me he has just woke up and has been sick couple more times.
The rest of the afternoon is made up of crashing on the couch and making trips to the bathroom. Nothing too abnormal for someone with the flu, right?
I am trying to book a load for the day. It was one of the frustrating days that nothing quite "fits together". Constant phone calls.
In the meantime Zach is getting whiney. Very untypical of him. He begs me to sit on the couch with him and rub his feet. He is feeling miserable. So I oblige. Armed with phones.
I decide to turn on TV to try to divert his attention off his misery. (Yeah ,that didn't work.)
I am very thankful by then that I had not left for the day. That I was home. He was to be my babysitter that day, not me HIS.
We have the TV on and I am massaging his ice cold feet when the news comes on about the massacre in Omaha. Needless to say I sank lower into the couch. We more than likely would of went to that mall in Omaha. I still can not believe it.
I spent the next hour running back and forth from couch to computer. Trying to get a load booked. Zach continued to beg me to come back as soon as I left. (Thankfully the computer and couch are about 10 ft. apart.)
When the other kids come in from school I beg them to help me. One to run get gatorade, one to massage Zach feet, and one to just help! This madness went on for an hour.
By this time my work day has come to an end. Zach is not doing good at all. He is not keeping even a sip in. I have to help him up and around. He almost passes out when I am helping him wash his hands. We try a few more minutes to get some fluid in him. When he started going " down hill" he went FAST. Then we readied for departure.
Clark and I hung on to Zach while Seth and Tessa ran and got our shoes,coats,keys,etc.
The ride to the hospital went well til we turned the corner for it. At that time the bucket action went into play. If we were to been able to video that we would without a doubt would win America's Funniest Video Jackpot! Oh my!!!!!
Zach spent the next 3 hours in the emergency room. He was completely spent. All he could move was his head. He would slip in and out of conciousness. His vitals were alarming and all over the place. His breathing was labored. Took three of us to move him and sit him up for xrays.
When they got a few bags of IV in him and he still wasn't able to walk they kept him overnight for observation. By 1 am he was feeling alot better and walking to the bathroom. By 5 am he took himself to it. By 10 am we were on our way out of the hospital.
As a smother of 6 I have seen more than my share of flu. I have never seen anything like this.
When he left for school he was healthy and happy as he ever gets going to school. Three hours later it was just a flu bug. And three hours after that it was a horrible flu bug.
Or was it food poisoning? Doc didn't know. All I know it was nothing to mess with.
What a day....

2 comments:

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

i know what you mean

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Sounds like a scary day. Hope he is feeling better now.