Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Whiteout.......


Yesterday was a miserable winter day. The kind of day you want to never see. The day with lots of winter advisories, blizzard warnings, wind advisories, etc. Our area was under a winter weather watch. It turned out to be a full blown blizzard!
Daryl had to do a short run yesterday. Then when he got home he was to swap trucks and be in Missouri by 8 am today.
All went well til the wind started. The past few days fluffy snow caused a mess with the high winds. And made it complete whiteout conditions.
Then they let school out. (And had a late start today.) The picture above is from Daryl's cellphone. He was following a SUV and it had just stopped right on the road. It took him 45 minutes to travel 3 miles!!! As you could barely see the vehicle in front of you.
Daryl was very relieved to finally reach a town so he could park the truck safely. His rig is just a huge white moving target in something like that!!! Eventually he made it across the town to the truck stop.
When the winds died down again he headed for home. He showered and was out the door again. Of course he was determined he could make it with a loaded trailer so he was on his way ........
He did make it through all the drifts along the way. And is right on schedule.
This morning the news showed a 27 vehicle pile up in an area Daryl went through. Yikes!
So goes another winter day in South Dakota.............

8 comments:

CindyDianne said...

And now you know part of the reason we live in Texas! lol


My brother-in-law lives in North Dakota though...

Michele said...

Goodness!!!!

Daryl is a fantastic driver.

I hope you don't get too many more of these types of days.

DayPhoto said...

Oh, my goodness! I am so glad Daryl is safe and that he is a SAFE driver.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Dana said...

Thats crazy weather!! I like it:) Not the part where people get hurt and delayed but the excitement of driving through it. Im living in the wrong state:)

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

I don't miss it one bit.

Mum-me said...

Wow, that's amazing and scary stuff. I remember reading about snow blizzards in the Laura Ingalls "Little House" series and being astounded that people could survive in such conditions.

Pat MacKenzie said...

Oh I hate days like that - time to curl up in front of a fire, unless you have kids, husbands and jobs that make you go out or worry. Daryl must be a pretty good driver. I'm not missing the Alberta snow this month.

debi9kids said...

OMGosh! WOW! that is some scary stuff! I have never experienced a blizzard and by the looks, don't want to.
Glad daryl is ok and safe .