Once the truck was aired up and could be moved it started right off.
With a change into dry clothes he was off in KenW to the repair shop once again. This time he stood his ground that he wanted a starter put in it regardless if the computer was not setting off the alarm.
Twelve hours after he was to leave for Utah he was finally upon his way! Hopefully with the problem found and fixed!
While sitting in a dry vehicle between times my help was needed I thought about the times I use to drive a semi here and there for Daryl.
The last time I did much semi driving was quite a few years ago when we owned 5 semis and had Daryl and four other drivers in them. My job was to keep everything going behind the scene. Monies in everyone accounts. Retrieve debit cards left in machines. Run monies to drivers that left their said cards in the ATM machines. Run trucks here and there for tires etc.
The "babysitting" of drivers was enough usually along with being a mom to six small kids and all that that entailed. Then there was some semi driving too yet.
Well the day came when I would get caught doing it without a CDL. My trucking trips were usually short jaunts from shop to home etc.. It made life easier than to run Daryl back and forth two or three times to retrieve a truck/s.
My mother-in-law had five of the kids with her waiting to pick me up at the shop. Dirk was with me in the truck.
All was going fine. Then I stopped at a stop sign and there was a small billow of smoke floating on by. Dirk and I checked the truck all over and found the problem. A brake was stuck. We tried all the things Daryl told us to do. Of course none of them worked for us.
A nice man stopped to offer us some help. Then he left and I am certain called the sheriff to assist us. As soon as can be there a cop was. Out in the middle of no where?? Hmm...
By this time Daryl had called a repairman to come help us and he was on his way. Dirk and I sat in the air conditioned cop car in the 100* heat getting questioned.
Of course the cop asked me if I had a license and I replied "yes" as confidently and calmly as possible. I do have a drivers license tho I understand he was implying a CDL. He didnt question me further or ask to see my license which I was soooo thankful for!!!! But Dirk (pale as a ghost) was still certain he was going to see his mom handcuffed and hauled to jail right then and there!!!
Having a cop there was a huge help to me as he was able to get the local cop to give a message to my MIL of the mishap. Before her cell phone days ya know.
After that hair-raising of an experience my hubs knew not to ask for my semi driving assistance again!
8 comments:
You guys have as many stories as our lives here in AR. If we both familes would write a book they would be best sellers somewhere.
Glad you don't have to drive anymore. If you did get your CDL, you would probably have to drive all the time. Maybe best not to have one.
I am going to have my diesel mechanic husband read this... he would probably get a kick out of it because he would understand all about 'IT'. (o:
I'm glad you were okay and the truck okay. Pretty soon the boys can do all of that and you can relax
Linda
http://coloradofarmlifewordpress.com
You obviously look like a very honest person .... I was reading along and thinking 'oh no, you're going to get in trouble with the policeman!'
Glad it all worked out okay in the end.
Wow Kath - all that and driving semis too. What other hidden talents do you have???
Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I noticed you guys just celebrated Homecoming week...that's this week for us! Love it! But looks like a rainy football game :( You have a gorgeous family & I look forward to checking back in to see what new adventures you're up to.
Hi Kath! Thanks for your comment on my blog today.
I'm so jealous of you. My grandfather is a trucker and I always think the lifestyle seems so fun and adventurous. He's pretty cool too.
You are so brave. Heck, I have enough trouble driving a pick up truck let alone a semi.
Mountain Man doesn't have a CDL so he's always worrying about the weight of stuff he's towing. Here in Vermont they always pull you over and ticket you if you don't have one.
Hope all goes well with the repairs.
Post a Comment