Monday, November 1, 2010

Trick Or Treat.......

Did you have alot of trick or treaters??

We didnt have one this year.
We live in a small town where we use to have half the kids in town stop by. Then we had a retired teacher live next door so EVERYBODY went to her house and stopped by us too! When she went into a nursing home the number of trick o treaters dropped. But we still had just a few of the same kids stop by. Kids we knew fairly well.

Then three years ago I had the bright idea that I would play a trick on these kids....then treat them.

I took my big bright yellow Tupperware bowl and put some candy in it. Topped it with a big zucchini and some bruised apples.

The kids stepped up to the door to reach in to grab some candy and then froze into place!! All they seen was a big pickle and rotten apples!!! With horrified looks shot at me they backed away!! All the while I was coaxing them to just dig to the bottom of the bowl for the candy!!!

One set of kids were two teens and a younger sister. The boys thought it was funny after they realized it was a trick and that I wasnt really going to give them just a bruised up apple!! But the little girl was still horrified when she left with her m&ms. She did not appreciate the trick at all!!!
The other kids that stopped by reached in to grab some candy til they seen the huge "pickle" and stopped dead in their tracks. I was glad they were able to laugh about my trick on them!!! Thankfully I didnt torment them for life as they still return if we are home!
The little girl has never stopped by again!!!
Lesson learned.
Trick or treating really does NOT mean "trick" just treat!!!

7 comments:

Mum-me said...

too funny!

we don't really do Halloween here although the big retailers are trying to push it on us. Dragon was out front riding his scooter last night and came to warn me that there were some trick-or-treaters coming down the street but they didn't make it as far as our house.

Maybe I should leave out a bowl of bruised fruit next year and scare them all away!

grammy said...

Kids have been lectured so much about the weird people out there...Stay away from them or they might give you poison candy. Opps...that year you fell into the weird people category (o:

Renata said...

Hi Kath
I've just been reading your previous posts - so much has happened since I've been away! Congratulations to Tessa & Dan on their engagement - you must be so excited!
Also your little grandson is just adorable! I hope his momma recovers quickly!

We don't do halloween over here, but I did have a giggle at your trick!
Have a lovely week
Renata:)

Jane said...

Trunk or treat seems to be the "in" thing around here! Hope you are keeping well,

Jane

DayPhoto said...

We only get the grandchildren. I sort of wish we did get kids, but those that do assure me we don't want the hords.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Stephanie said...

We didn't have nearly as many kids stop by as usual. However, our little town celebrated for 2 whole weekends! They had a haunted house with games and more Friday and Saturday of the weekend before, then again on the Saturday just before. Plus trunk or treat on the Friday just before.... Man those kids must have been all tuckered out come Halloween proper!

Pat MacKenzie said...

I guess some kids just have no sense of humor do they! We got no kids at halloween because we were in airports and airplanes till after midnight!