Our family tradition is that starting on their 10th birthday the birthday child plans their day.
They chose what the gift will be, what the entertainment will be, and where they chose to dine. Dad takes birthday boy child out on the town. Mom takes birthday girl child out on the town.
Just the two of us. Treasured one-on -one time which is a must with a big family.
Its looked forward to for months in advanced! Like 364 days in advance!
Plans are made and changed over and over til the day of fun arrives.
Some of the kids knew exactly what they want to do, get, and all. The next child has a more difficult time making concrete decisions because it wants to do EVERYTHING in one night!! Which is impossible.
Its a good learning lesson and a great memorable time.
A tradition we hope to continue ALWAYS.
Another tradition we have is for their 18th birthday they get an overnight adventure. They chose and plan it all again.
Maria and I went to Omaha for shopping and fun.
Dirk and Daryl went to Mankato and Minneapolis to ski and have a jolly good time.
Zach couldn't decide what he wanted to do. At 18 he was going through surgeries on his hand and Daryl was busier than normal starting farming out in WY.
Another year passed and college, Zach's job, and hay kept them both too busy.
Finally he decided he wanted to go hiking in the Black Hills. Well that never got planned. weather happened. Hay and jobs got in the way of fun. Time passed.....
A couple weeks ago I found a coupon to attend the Twin Cities Auto Show. I sent texts to Zach and Daryl. They took the bait and three years late they went out on Zach's 18th birthday outing!!
Some of the fun they had was drooling at the auto show, Comedy Sportz which is always a hit, and I am not sure what all else!

9 comments:
LOL! Now I for one like the last truck!!!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/
I thought maybe you had bought him a new car. If that was the case, I was going to never show my children this post. Turned out so much better. Happy belated birthday.
Michele- hahahaha He wishes!!! And if we did it would be more like the vehicle in the last picture with REAL rust!!!
When we met them for supper I thought he got another new car when I saw what he was driving. I was drooling!! I have wanted a Charger or Magnum for awhile now...someday...ahhh....
What a good tradition (o:
So glad he got to do a special thing even if it was late.
My guys would love that too.
Post a Comment