Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day 24 Years Ago.........

Was a day to remember!
Twenty four years ago today I awoke at 4 something am.
Before Daryl left for work.
I had to go wee.
But it wasn't pee.
I was going to have the baby three weeks prior to the due date!!!!
OH JOY!
After walking the small hospital corridor I was to deliver at for an entire day and into the evening the doctor decided to induce labor.
Walked and talked about baby names.
Endlessly.
For hours and hours.
Nine pm rolled around and labor was not "steadily pregressing" yet. So doc upped the doseage of Pitocin.
Baby's heart rate went whacky.
We were strapped in an ambulance enroute to big city hospital.
Very uncomfortable stretcher.
Very uncomfortable labor pains.
Very uncomfortable straps around big uncomfortable laboring pregnant belly.
Arrived at big hospital and went right into the best labor and delivery of my six babies.
Leap Day ended.
Labor continued til 5:50am.
Dark haired scrunchy-faced beautiful 6 lbs15oz baby boy arrived.
Baby wasn't named til we went home from the hospital days later.

It would of been very cool to have a baby's birthday on Leap Day. Unless you were related to my grandpa Bernardus whose birthday was the same day!

See the reason Dirk wasn't named for a few days is I was struggling with naming such an adorable lil one Dirk! I just.had.to.be.certain. 
But it was much easier to name the sweet little one Dirk than it would of EVER been to tag him with the name Bernardus!!
Could not of done it even if Dirkie Allen had been born on Leap Day as my grandpa B.D. had been.

It was just too big of a leap for me!!

Happy birthday, Dirk!!
So thankful you love your name.
Give your mama a birthday gift of one less grey hair.....GET YOUR HAND XRAYED!!
Love you muches and always!!

5 comments:

Mum-me said...

Happy 24th to your gorgeous baby boy.

(My mum was born on 29 Feb, so she has just celebrated her 16th birthday!)

Pat MacKenzie said...

Dirk's a fine strong name for a fine strong son. Much better than Bernardus,or whatever. Too bad he missed leap day. My first son missed leap day too. He was due on Feb. 21 but not born until March 2 - 40 years ago.

Jamie said...

Awww just shy of leap day! I brother is 1 day older than your son, and he turned "6" on leap day :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dirk!!!

Linda
http:coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Renata said...

What a wonderful memory & I hope he had a great celebration! We have a friend who just celebrated his '10th' birthday on leap day :)

Hope you are keeping well.
Blessings
Renata:)