This was taken on Sunday when he was looking like himself again.
He was in bed from Friday morning of surgery til Sunday evening.
Because of the drain in the leg.
A good head washing sure made him feel somewhat like himself again.
The nurse that took care of him post-op stopped by to see how he was doing on Monday.
First she walked by and then came back.
She did not recognize her patient.
When she had him he was still trying to come out of anesthesia and was so full of fluid.
He looked horrible.
When I first walked up to his bed in the hallway I took a step back cuz that was not my Zachary.
Scared the life out of me.
He kept his two nurses very busy that first night.
The yellow steri-strip is where the incision is.
The white knob is the "pin" that is holding the scaphoid bone from shifting.
The blue cord is a blood pressure line that lets us hear the blood flow in the artery/vessel that were graphed from his leg.
The blood pressure line is still stapled in his arm.
In the hospital the arm is what caused all the pain.
He says he could feel the pin.
These are the residents Drs. that we visited with all weekend.
They felt like celebrities cuz I took their pic!
We only seen the surgeon at his office and right after surgery for the full explanation.
Doc on the right was very easy to talk to and took the time to explain everything.
We felt confident in his care til it came time to re-wrap the arm.
Those two guys were way out of their element!!!
But they didn't call for the nurses.
It was quite entertaining other than that is the handiwork Zach still has on his arm!!
How did we know that Zach was on his way to recovery?
Well... he went sleep walking!
Twice.
In the same night.
Then he told the nurse and she turned on the alarm in his bed.
He didn't get too far.
He was attached to his bed with the IV, catheter, blood pressure line in arm, and blood pressure cuff on his leg.
He woke up standing beside the bed!
(Sunday night)
And Doc had not even given him walking orders yet!!
I forewarned the nursing staff that he would "walk".
But I guess I didn't tell this nurse,that night.
I thought they would put that on his chart but I guess they didn't take us seriously.
Thankfully he did not get hurt on his lil excursions!
He has been a "walker" since he was two years old.
He walks mostly on vacations.
But he walks at home, too.
He can be very difficult to wake up when he is walking.
And,well, ... he just generally scares the wits out of his parents when he does it!!
If he could stop this he would cuz he does not like the stories we tell him the next morning!!
4 comments:
I'm glad you posted the prom pictures first. At least then he looks like the Zach we all know and love.
The poor kid really went through the wringer.
Still praying for a fast and complete recovery.
I used to think it would be really fun to have to stay in the hospital, but maybe not any more! Hope all is well!
Mary Jo
Poor guy, first all the pictures in hospital gowns and then the sleep walking stories......that might have the longest recovery time! :)
So glad to hear that he is doing better!
Oh you poor thing. {hugs} That is hard to watch from the mom side. Glad to hear is his mending. Isn't it amazing what the body will do even while sleeping.
Post a Comment