Monday, July 14, 2008

Decisions.......

Whats a girl to do?
Should I go in the truck for the week?
Or should I spend a week at home all by myself?
Its a super difficult decision to make.
Tessa and Clark just left for a week at camp. Seth was there last week.
Daryl is headed to Utah . I have only been thru Salt Lake City once quite a few years ago. I would like to see all the things the kids talk about as they usually get to go a week in the truck with Daryl every year.
For the past few years I have not made it along with him as life always gets in the way. It has a way of doing that.....alot. For the past 16 years I always try to fit in a week ( or part of one) to going along in the truck which I call "trucker appreciation week". You really appreciate being home after a week being out on the road! And appreciate all that Daryl goes through to support his family.
For the past 8 years its been tough to find a time I can get away. It was a hassle when the kids were younger as I had to find multiple babysitters for all six of the kids. Then we had the mad notion to open a furniture store. There was hardly any getting away from that for me. So I would try to take an overnight run with Daryl when he hauled cattle.
Its been years since I have gone on a week long haul with him. Two years ago I went to Bozeman Montana over a weekend to see some friends of ours.
He misses it more than I do. Tho I do like to go along as it resets my appreciation for my hubs and his occupation. And I get to talk to him. Mostly uninterrupted. Til the cell phone rings anyway!
Its just that trucking is not my thing. It is long long hours of just sitting, staring at the world passing you by. And I get sleepy when I am just sitting there. But sleeping in the truck is not fun while it is moving. I get head rush when he takes curves. My ribs feel like they been tied in knots from being juggled together after mile upon mile. Daryl ,of course, being the driver and never the rider does not understand what I am complaining about.
When trucking you dont get to stop at all the fun things along the way. Either the big rig has no place where to park or you are on a tight schedule to meet your appointments.
So it is just like I said earlier. A week of appreciation!!
And with farming land 450 miles from home I have had a fair share of road time already this year and more yet to come. And when we get home we are leaving for a few days of vacation to Minneapolis to do school shopping along with some fun for the summer. Do I want more road time?
But I dont really have anything of importance to stay home for this week. Other than to dispatch which I can do from the road if I buy a new toy aka Blackberry.
The decision I need to make is this.
Do I and Seth go along in the truck with Daryl to Utah for the week?
OR
Do I send Seth with Daryl and have a week all to my self?

2 comments:

Mum-me said...

Sounds like a hard decision. I would opt for the week by myself because travelling does all the same things to me as it does to you. (A a whole week to myself sounds heavenly.) But on the other hand, it would be nice to have some time with only two of the children - special for them!

Anonymous said...

Mom-
If I were you I would go in the truck. How can you not sleep good in there?? I love it! Anyway, it would probably still be fun-even if Seth is going along too :) KIDDING!!!
-RIA