Sunday, September 14, 2008

Blessings.....


Daryl gave me this chocolate bar with my birthday card ten days ago. It sat on my desk for over a week. I was determined to resist it. For as long as I could anyway. Well on Friday I just needed a lil chocolate to help get me through the day. So I had myself a few squares throughout the day. Didnt rid me of my headache tho like I was sure it would.

Seeing I had finally opened the candy bar the kids have pounced on it!!!
Great! Less calories for me!!

So that was our company over the weekend while missing Daryl.


Daryl has had a weekend unlike any other he has ever had before.

He has decided to put in a different engine in the truck. But it will take almost three weeks to get it back on the road. One week to get the new engine to AZ. Another week to put it in. And allow another week to get parts and whatever else arises as they dig into it all.

So another decision we made was to buy a semi to haul hay with now instead of next spring like we had planned. Then he can get back to work with it right now and we wont have to buy a load of Gatorade.

So he was in Flagstaff where the truck is in the shop. But he found trucks that he wanted to look at in Phoenix. The salesman said he would come pick him up if he was really interested in looking at his trucks. So two young guys picked him up. Sounds like the fast ride back to Phoenix was one for the books and just the beginning of the fun he observed while with the two of them. They also fed him and put him up in a motel. Took him around to look at the different trucks they have for sale.

Well it paid off for them to haul a stranger around as Daryl found a truck he thinks will work for hauling hay. He was able to talk to the original owner of it in person and get the history of it. Huge help when buying a semi.

We never know whats around the next turn in our lives, or whats going to happen when going up the next hill for that matter,but once in awhile we run into people that bless us when we least expect it.

Like for instance, when you are handed the bill for a major repair on a semi your first thought is we all have to go on a diet and not leave home for a month to pay for this one. Thats always my first thought!! But then you are given a voucher for cab fare for wherever you need to go so you can take care of your business. When going back and forth to a motel, library, restaurant, truckstop,etc. that turns out to be a huge unexpected blessing.

Also these two young guys that gave Daryl a weekend to remember. Driving to pick him up and carting him around, feeding him, putting him up in a decent motel. These are blessings not to be forgotten.
In the 16 years of trucking of accidents, dropping a transmission, etc. we have not had this kind of courtesy before. It takes off alot of stress in this stressful situation.

Daryl is really missing home as you can imagine. This pic that he took of us on his cell phone last weekend is keeping him company. I bet now he is wishing he had given us a moments notice to at least smile!!!

We are hoping to get the truck road ready tomorrow-lic and ins- and get it under the trailer. Then he will be able to get the load delivered in a timely manner. And have time to reload for home and get here for next weekend.

7 comments:

DayPhoto said...

What a lovely family!

LindaGay
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Michele said...

I glad to hear that Arizonaon's are treating him well. If he has to stay much longer let me know. I'll get him in touch with one of the librarians at Northern Arizona University. Maybe, he could offer some tips about things around Flagstaff.

Mum-me said...

The joys of beiing self-employed! My husband and I were self-employed for quite a few years before he decided to join the army, so I know what you mean about never knowing what's around the corner (although we never had to deal with the huge $$$$ you must handle all the time!)

I didn't realise you would have to buy the load of gatorade if it couldn't be delivered. I suppose you'd have some sort of insurance in case that happened?

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Glad to hear all things are working out. I was kinda looking forward to a road trip to bring you our truck but glad now I'm not on the road as we had to put Mom in the hospital tonight for test. All things work out for good...

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

You held out WAY longer than I could!

WAY!

You have a beautiful family!

Blessings!
Lacy

Anonymous said...

Mum-me- Yes we have cargo insurance but putting out for the deductable feels like paying for the load.

What type of business were you and your husband into when you were self employed?

Vonner, sorry to hear about your mom. Is everything ok?? I will call you one of these days.

Kryna said...

Yeah, you just can't beat chocolate...I finished off like a pound of peanut butter cups Monday after going to the Hershey shop here in town. They were bulk seconds. Never good!!!!