Wednesday, October 29, 2008

More Answers.........

On to answering more questions........
Lacy asked what my favorite "soul food" was and it was not too hard to see what is our family's favorite. Hands down its Salisbury Steak with creamy mashed potatoes. Its a tasteful stick to your ribs kinda meal. Leaves one completely content.
Another soul food would have to be chili. Dirk recently commented while home from college that a memory that brings him back to his childhood is eating chili on a cold snowblowin' day. Living in South Dakota we have chili alot in the winter. We love ourselves some good chili!
Bouffard11 asked what our favorite holiday moment would be. Well ,there are many of those but I will share a special tradition of ours. At Thanksgiving right before we eat we go around the table and have to share what we are thankful for. It is so special to see what each of the kids share. By the time we are finished there is usually not a dry eye in the place. That is the highlight of my day.
Paul wants to know about my "garge sale finds". We've been going for so long that I have sooooo many bargains!! My house is overfull from them! A couple years ago I found my favorite mixing bowl w/ lid-like new- for 50 cents.(No longer available at stores) I let out a squeal of some sort as the lady thought I was completely nuts. Daryl, Sheila, and Mike probably were embarrassed to be around me but I was estatic!! I love that bowl and use it often.
And for strange/unusual items I have seen on a gargae sale....
At this one sale the children(50+ yrs old) were cleaning out ma and pa's house. They brought out everything! In amongst all the junk was hemmoroid cream along with lots of other yukky stuff. Of course, that is one sale that you turn around and walk out of. Eeeew.
More not sellable items are bras, those stringy so called underwear, and lipstick to name a few that are found at sales all the time.

8 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Yeah, it astounds me what people put in their garage sales. Ewh.

I don't garage sale much. I am, however, a craigslist addict.

DayPhoto said...

Thanks for sharing! You always have a way of writing something that makes me either smile or laugh out loud!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Michele said...

Aren't there rules about what is appropriate yard sale items? And if not, shouldn't there be?

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

Michele- There shouldn't have to be rules if people would just use common sense! But alas......

grammy said...

I love garage sales. So sad they are almost over. I love to get books at them. I am a reader and they are usually only 25cents (O:

debi9kids said...

Thanks for the great answers. We share the same Thanksgiving tradition. I'll have to try to videotape it this year for the blog. It is usually my favorite time of the holiday as well :)

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

Thank you for the answer. I'm always interested in someone's soul food definition.

Ugh and the yard sale finds -- I have watched with my own two eyes as people purchased panties, bathing suits, feminine wipes (previously opened), and other unsightly and personal items at yard sales. It turns my stomach.

Yuck.

Why? Why do people even put that stuff out there? I would be too embarrassed.

Blessings,
lacy

Mum-me said...

Family traditions are the best, and they are what the children will remember as the special times with mum and dad.

We don't go around the garage sales because my children just want to buy everyoe elses junk!