You know what its like to get your hopes all built up? You are all kinds of excited and jiggy with it? You have huge balloons of anticipation built up? And then someone sticks a pin in your balloon! And first it just kind of hisses as it lets reality sink in. Then it hits you and ...POP! ....goes your huge balloon of anticipation!
Thats what happened Tuesday when Zach and I travelled to Rochester to visit the surgeon at Mayo Clinic for his wrist.
We left Monday night to get ahead of the icy weather. We were all excited as this would be the finale to this long 9 month ordeal.
Tuesday morning we did the regular routine at Mayo.
He went and had his ct scan. We then had a few hours to get a bite to eat. Then its time to report to the office for xrays. It wasnt too long before we were able to meet up with the doctor.
We were super excited. And it showed. The nurse did her thing with all the measurements and wrote up our questions for the doctor. In that conversation she learned how we were both filled to the top with anticipation of this being our final trip. And then she put up the red flag for us. I heard it but Zach didnt. She informed us that this would not be the last time. After reading thru the report she shook her head and repeated that this would definitely not be the final trip. And that is when our huge balloons of anticipation began to hiss!
Then doc came in and studied the reports quite extensively. And looked them over again. Then he turned to us and proceeded to POP! our balloons with one big bang. He gave us the report and we sat there with deflated looks of reality.
The nasty little peice of bone and the bone graph have bone growth on the top of the main screw but did not grow anymore on the bottom of it so there is still a gap.
Doc's recommendation was to do a surgical procedure and sooner the better. So we had it done Wednesday morning and were on the road home by 11 am.
So to enhance bone growth to the bone doc wanted to do some bone growth stimulating. So under sedation they drew blood from Zach. Spun it down and mixed it with something and then injected it into the nasty little piece of bone that has caused all the problems to begin with. Zach also has to use a bone growth stimulating machine 3x a day for 30 minutes.
So we are not done running to the doc at Mayo clinic. And that means that this ordeal is not over yet. And that lil bone is still being a bugger!
Being I was sitting there all deflated and all. And Zach was crushed I didnt even want to know what would be next if this does not work.
Zach does have full use of his hand and has been out of a cast for a couple months now. Its just that if this bone doesnt grow to a solid piece that it can fracture quite easily again.
So we drag our deflated balloons behind us and know we are not done with this yet.
We had a good time on our little trip and I thoroughly enjoyed the one on one time with Zach regardless of the news. And we missed all the icy roads being we had to stay another day. That I was very thankful for.
Also we met some really nice people that was Zach's roommate and his wife. Olivia and I had breakfast together and chatted nonstop the entire time the guys were gone to surgery. That time passed fast for us. I was thankful to have someone to talk with so my nerves didnt get the best of me. Of course, we continued to chat while they were in recovery too. I certainly hope that we remain in contact.
Note to self: When going to Mayo pack extra clothes!!!!!
And we owe a huge thank you to Stephanie for staying with the kids.
9 comments:
What a bummer. We will be praying that this finally heals proper once and for all. Glad to hear you could see God's goodnes thru all the set backs.
Dang! What a bad deal! BUT you are going to the MAYO and they are REALLY GOOD Doctors and have ALL the latest equipment! These two things plus time should make a really big difference.
Our prayers are with you!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
I have nothing but good things to say about the Mayo Clinic -- he's in good hands!
Keeping you and your wonderful family in my prayers,
Lacy
wow. that does stink. Hope he gets well soon. I am coming home this weekend, so I might have to stop by his place in sioux falls...
DIRK
Sorry to hear that you have to go back. It will be worth it when he has proper use of his arm, but in the meantime...
Hope the next visit is more encouraging.
Praying for your boy.
So sorry to hear it isn't healed yet. How hard that must be for all of you. Glad you at least had some good time with him and had someone to talk to. Prayers go out.
I can feel the disappointment through your writing. Sorry it didn't go as you had anticipated. Praying the new treatment will fix things up quickly.
That is so frustrating for you and Zach. It's nice that you met nice people though. Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading about other moms with lots of kids.
OH. I'm so sorry it hasn't healed on it's own yet.
Here's praying this new procedure will do the trick.
Post a Comment