Thursday, December 11, 2008

Arizona......


A few tidbits from our very short time in Arizona.

We spent one day with my family in Phoenix.

Then in the evening we met up with Michele and JR for a fun waaay too short of a chat at Starbucks. We really enjoyed our time getting to meet them.

Bright and early Daryl, Maria, and I ( my mom stayed with her sisters) started out on a road trip thru the back roads of Arizona on our way to Sedona and Jerome. It is here where we took all the cactus pics. It was so awesome to be standing amongst such grandeur. I have been in awe of cactus since I was in 4th grade and now have finally been able to be seeing them in real life! I loved every second of it!!!

We all loved the colors at Sedona. They were gorgeous!!!

I learned a lesson the hard way. You dont wear sandals on loose rock. I also learned that you dont step off the edge to pick up a pretty rock while wearing sandals. You will go down! And down some more! And there is nothing to hang on to other than more loose rocks!

As I fell I wasnt scared as there was a tree below to catch me but Maria sure was. One second I was picking up a rock and the next I was sliding away!! Daryl had to come and help pull me up the hill in his sensible rock climbing shoes the whole while we are having a gigglefest. And then he had to retrieve the camera which went for a tumble and landed by the tree that was to of stopped me! Memories!


We enjoyed spending one-on-one time with our beautiful daughter, Maria, who fell in love with AZ immediately and now wants to move to the warm part of the country. I assured her that during our SD winters her mother will visit often!!!

You can always pull a fast one on a very sleep deprived person very easily. We were on our way to Jerome, sleepy lil mining town built on the edge of a mountain. I fell asleep as my lack of it was beginning to really catch up with me. I woke up just as we were climbing the steepest-scariest- part of the trek up the hill. I asked Daryl how long I had slept cuz it sure helped to catch a few zzz's. He told me I had about an hours nap. So I felt really good then. Til we arrived in Jerome that is.
Maria and I did not like the town at all. Daryl loved it. This flatlander did not like being on the edge of a mountain. I felt very off kilter. We found it to be a strange experience. Of course Daryl loved being up in the clouds and hanging off the edge of a mountain. He really liked the old movie theatre. By that time I was way past enjoying another minute up there. (Flat land please!)
So we start our trek down the mountain. And that is when I realized that Daryl was full of the dickens and I had only slept about 10 min. at.the.very.most on the way up the hill. The last town we were in when I fell asleep was only 7 miles away. He was being a big jerk! But the nap felt good however long it was!
We felt very bad for soaking up the warmth while the rest of the kids back in South Dakota were freezing their tushies!! Someday we hope to take them there
to enjoy it too.
We had way too short of a visit to Arizona! But am glad we were able to take some extra time when picking up the semi down there.
Next up is our trip across beautiful (if you dare to look) Colorado.......

8 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Didn't like Jerome? That's like, sacrilege! :-)

Sedona is something special though, isn't it?

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

Sorry about that ,CindyDianne! Neither of us did but it was a good experience!! How all the buildings were hanging off the side of the mountain and all was very unnerving to this flatlander!!

Thank you very much for your recommendation of it and Sedona!!!

Michele said...

There is a great little restaurant in Jerome that we just love. Sorry you didn't like it.

Tell Maria she can come visit anytime. ASU is just waiting for her.

We loved meeting all of you.

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

Michele-We had a delicious meal at the Mile High. Is that the restaurant you like?

DayPhoto said...

What a fun journey we just took with you! And the catcus photos were great!

Snow is suppose to come our way Saturday....a good day to drive a combine to Delta!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Mum-me said...

That photo of the cactus with the sun behind it! - beautiful! I've never seen a cactus with 'halo' before.

Pat MacKenzie said...

What a great trip. LLoyd and I fell in love with Arizona this past year too and have bought a house in the Phoenix area where we'll be spending the entire month of January away from the frozen cold of the Alberta winter. Haven't toured around yet but will have to put Jerome on our list of places to see.

Renata said...

Some more great photos! I'm glad you weren't hurt in your fall! I don't know if I like mountains or flat better!