Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Boy In The Kitchen.....

Clark has been doing some cooking due to circumstances lately. I have been gone or ill so the kids have had leftovers to heat up for themselves.
When they ask me what they are to do with the leftovers I tell them to "be creative". So Clark has stepped up to the plate.
I have no photos of his creations so will try to describe the meals.
Patty melts is one of those foods he loves. He has made them a few times. Has them down to a science now.
Then there were mashed potatoes to use so he decided to make a patty melt using potato patties instead of bread. He made two potato patties mixed with Greek Seasoning and Parmesan cheese in the potatoes. Browned them, topped them with a hamburger patty and cheese slice, then finished it off with the other potato patty.
They also tried to replicate their new favorite sandwich that we had in WY late at night in the motel after a long grueling day in the hay field. Hot Beef Sandwich.
On Monday night he helped me to make Turkey Tetrazini. He was in there every step of the way. While we were working he was telling me about the meals he has made in my absence and that he wanted to make me a meal. He wanted to be creative.....
We decided he had chicken breasts and potatoes to use. He was to come up with how/what he was going to do with them. After school he told me how he wanted to cook the chicken. He was going to place the breasts on foil, add a pat of butter and herbs. Fold it up and bake it. And have baked potatoes with it.
I helped him out with different ideas on how to do his version of chicken. He decided to put the chicken in a dish, drizzle with a little melted butter, and then topped with a crumb top. The crumb top was made with bread crumbs, garlic 'n herb seasoning, and Parmesan cheese. He baked it covered til it was almost done then removed lid and let the excess liquid cook up(the breasts were frozen). It was super easy and baked up deliciously!!! Served with a baked potato.
It turned out like he had hoped it would so that was a huge success. And we all enjoyed the meal immensely. He can cook anytime he chooses. We like his creativity in the kitchen.

6 comments:

Michele said...

Can you send him down here? I've been a bit uninspired lately.

grammy said...

How fun to have another cook. Have you ever visited thepioneeerwoman.com go to the cooking part...she shows step by step instructions with pictures. He might like that. She also has great contests....with 1200 entries. lol

Mum-me said...

My mouth was watering as I read this post.

I am trying to teach my two eldest to cook a meal once a week. They are both very interested, so far.

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

Michele- I so welcome the help in the kitchen. Call me selfish but I just cannot share him yet.......


makeGrammy-I will have to check out her site! She has great contests.

Mum-me- Best of luck with teaching the kids to cook!!

Steph said...

ya, mouthwatering. i want some! oh and he makes really good hamburger patties (or whatever they're called).

Pat MacKenzie said...

It's so nice to have a man/boy willing to learn to cook. They usually have different ideas and can be quite creative.