Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Runzas........

Our family loves these soft sweet dough turnovers filled with meat and cabbage.

This is 3 batches of dough. We had visitors.
The dough is sooo fun to work with. And delicious too!

4 1/2 c. flour, divided
1/2 c. sugar
2 pkgs. yeast
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs

Mix 1 3/4 c. flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.
Heat milk, water, and shortening to 120-130*.
Pour into flour mixture. Beat well. Beat for 3 min. on high.
Add remaining flour. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover. Let rise 1 hour.

Filling-
1 lb. ground beef
2 small onions, chopped
4 c. cabbage, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Swiss cheese, grated,optional

Brown beef and onion. Add cabbage. Cook til cabbage is wilted. Drain.
Add salt and pepper. (We use Cavander's Greek Seasoning in place of the s&p)
Allow heat to escape.


Divide dough into 12 parts. Roll into squares. Top with 1/3 c. meat mixture. Add cheese to turnover.
Fold into triangle. Tightly secure edges.
Bake at 350* for 20 min. til golden brown.
Rub tops with butter.
Enjoy!
Sometimes we have to drag the kids into the kitchen to help me make these but never to eat them!!!

4 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

I've heard alot about Runza Buns over the years but have never had one. I'll have to try them sometime when the kids are over.
You are so adventurous in the kitchen.

grammy said...

No Fair!!! I love those and I want one. Yumm! That was a big giant batch of dough(o:

Pat MacKenzie said...

Those look great. I love your recipes.

Anonymous said...

lol...we tried Runzas on our trip to Colorado...