Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Ho Ho Bars........

Awhile back Seth went to Minneapolis with us ladies and had the best time ever he says. He enjoyed browsing through the grocery stores and trying all the samples at Whole Foods.
Another reason I'm sure he liked that road trip was he had an entire box of HoHo's to himself.
My mom and I sure weren't fighting him for one of those rubber rolls! My sister may have helped him out and took one off his hands.
Over a weeks time he had eaten a box of HoHo's himself with a little help from his bro once he found them in the car.
I never buy those kinds of things so they are a real treat if they ever get them. He relished each rubbery morsel too.
So to celebrate Seth's upcoming birthday I made him some real HoHo bars. They make a big pan full so he will have to share these!!
HoHo Bars
First Layer-
1 c. oil
1 c. water
5 T. cocoa
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk mixed with 1T. vinegar
1 tsp. baking soda
Boil oil, water, and cocoa; mix with remaining ingredients. Put in a lightly greased 12x17 pan. Bake at 350* for 20 min.
Second Layer-
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. Crisco
1/2 c. milk
1 T. water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. powdered sugar
Beat everything together, except powdered sugar, for 10 min. Add powdered sugar and beat another 5 min. Put on first layer once it is cool.
Frosting-
1 c. granulated sugar
6 T. butter
6 T. milk
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. mini marshmallows
Boil sugar, butter, and milk for 1 min, stirring constantly. Add chocolate chips and marshmallows. Cool and beat until thick. Spread over creme layer.
Chill.
Enjoy........like Seth does!

5 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Thanks for sharing. I always love your food posts. It always looks soooo good.

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

We do know our caloric yummies!!! Unfortunately. :(

Michele said...

Do you think marshmallow fluff will work. With the whole veggie I can't (read won't) use mini marshmallows. Yeah, I'm weird. The Boys would love this.

Mum-me said...

I think I gained 5 kilos just looking at the photo of that delicious morsel. What is crisco?

Pat MacKenzie said...

I've never had a HoHo but yours sure look good. Lucky Seth.