Friday, January 29, 2010

O'Henry Bars......

We had a morning of baking. There were some bananas in the basket screaming to be made into something yummy. So we made two different kinds of fiber enriched gluten-free muffins for the gf kid.

Then I wanted something baked with coconut in it. So we made O'Henry Bars. Its a recipe I use to make when we were first married. But have not made it in years. Its a golden oldie with butter, sugar, oatmeal, chocolate, and I add in coconut! How could it not be good??

Well..its not like they are not good. Its just that one should really measure the corn syrup and not just give the bottle a big squeeze and "guess". Make a mess and use a measuring device. Or else these yummy looking bars get a layer on the bottom of baked syrup! And its a wee bit ...ummm....chewy! But still very yummy.


3 c. quick oats

1 c. coconut

2/3 c. butter, melted

1/2 c. white sugar

1 c. brown sugar

1/2 c. corn syrup

3 tsp. vanilla

Melt butter. Add in sugars, syrup, and vanilla. Mix well.

Add in oats and coconut. Blend well.

Pat lighty into 9x13 pan. Bake at 350* for 15 min.


Top with -

1 c. chocolate chips

a dollop or three of peanut butter

Melt. Mix well. Top bars while they are warm. sprinkle on some more coconutty goodness.


Enjoy!

6 comments:

Michele said...

There goes my diet. I'm a sucker for coconut.

grammy said...

looks wonderful (o:
I don't bake that much anymore because
there are just two of us to eat it and if I am very good and only have a few
that leaves a whole pan for hubby. I imagine your kids eat it up pretty fast.

Kath said...

Yes they do, Grammy. In fact I had two teen boys thinking these bars made for an easy quick breakfast this morning. Not.

Mum-me said...

Sounds yummy! Can I substitute golden syrup for the corn syrup (it's hard to get here.)

The Silver Age Sara said...

Yum, whether the recipe is exact or not all I can say is I would eat all of them if I could. It's why we don't do much baking because I love sweets. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

Renata said...

Oh Yum!
These look delicious (even with the syrup!
They would disappear in two seconds in this house (as does all the baking - what's it going to be like when they're teenagers?)
Hope you have a lovely week
Renata :)