Monday, April 19, 2010

No Bones About It......

I have come to dislike the scaphoid bone. Very very much.
It is a tricky little sucker that is vitally important to our hand. Well...if you like a good blood supply to your fingers and thumb that is.
Its tricky too as once its fractured it doesnt swell up as an alert sign. It doesnt hurt all the time either. As long as you dont bump it or tug on it that lil bone is ok with just sitting there all broken like. Sneaky I say.
It also is a very breakable little sucker when ya fall and your wrist flicks backwards too far. You know...like Zach did two years ago when he slipped and fell on the ice. And like how Clark did it now when he fell in gym class.
According to the xray it is broken all the way across from top to bottom. He had a MRI done on Friday to check the blood supply and we will get results from that tomorrow.
Hopefully this is an easy fix. Quite often it needs a screw to hold it together as it is easily bumped out of place every time the thumb moves.
We are praying for the easy route as we had the looooonnng route with Zach's fracture. At least we know a good hand surgeon! : (
How ironic is it that both boys broke the same exact bone, even in the same hand?
UGH.

9 comments:

grammy said...

how is that possible
crazy
you guys sure have had your share
I have never heard of that bone or that break
I am praying it won't be hard to heal (o:

Unknown said...

Oh my! I am so sorry. I hope it heals correctly. Hopefully, you won't go through that again. How weird.

Mum-me said...

Good grief! Your children and mine should get together and invent the "Broken Wrist Club". Mousie just had her cast taken off yesterday, but Dragon now has a suspected fracture of the scaphoid in his left wrist. The x ray wasn't too clear, and the doc said if it doesn't hurt it's probably alright. He says it only hurts when he bumps it or puts too much pressure. Now, after reading this, I think I will take him back to the hospital for a re-check!

DayPhoto said...

Oh, my goodness! And weird that it is the same hand and the same bone! I am praying that it will heal fast!!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Stephanie said...

Oh no! I hope that it is an easy fix this time around!

I have thought about juicing. Our problem is a good supply of fresh produce. We are trying to figure out is a greenhouse is an option for us economically. Living out here 60 miles from a grocery store makes fresh produce not so easy plus add in the fact that this is Wyoming and our produce often isn't wonderful to begin with.

Michele said...

It's always the rough and tumble boys that break things. That hand surgeon might come in handy. Get it? Handy! I crack myself up.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Oh, my goodness! I hope it isn't too painful now and I sure hope he doesn't need a screw.

Corky and Kay said...

Good grief. Hope it all turns out ok.

Renata said...

Oh not the scaphoid again - you had such a terrible time last time. Will pray this one is easier - what are the results - is the blood supply compromised? I know we used to find a lot of broken scaphoids that drs would have missed - we always talked to the patients & did the films we felt were required. Now make sure no one else falls over....