The garden has been rescued! It took Hercules efforts but we got it done.
Many years ago I planted Morning Glories in our new raised "flower" beds which laid alongside our garage. Then when planting my big garden space full and still having extra tomato plants I decided to put them in the "flower" beds to fill it up.
The Morning glories flourished and were beautiful!
The tomato plants were great and produced better than the whole lot of them that were in the big garden. So the "flower" beds became garden space with flowers on the corners. And the big garden that required way too much tilling and hoeing is now lawn. I do not miss "that acre of garden".
Well, back to those beautiful but blasted morning glories. The next year or two the morning glories didn't come up. Disappointment in them was deep so we removed the frame work they entangled themselves on.
Only for them to return the next year. No frame up for them to climb on so they took over the pole bean frames nearby. What a tangled mess that was!! Yet very pretty.
The following year they had completely taken over one section of garden space so we made a deal with the kids that they would get a penny a piece for every baby morning glory they picked. $37.00 later we had completed the morning glory takeover project. And that did not include the plants Daryl and I pulled! Or so we thought..........
Well one thing I have learned about those hardy lil buggers is they reseed TOO well and you will NEVER be rid of them!!
The summer the kids did the royal clean up of morning glories we moved some of them to a corner of the garden where we placed an arch for them to grow on. They flourish there. They reseed very well there. They grow out into the garden every which direction possible from there. They are beautiful on the arch but have become a pain and a nuisance in the garden on both sides of them.
When we "rescued" the garden last week Tessa chose the pole beans to weed aka rescue from the ever winding morning glories. It was a slow process as they were thick as grass and both vines look similar.
I bet ya can guess where this is going?
YEP! When I was finished weeding the onions I stepped up to help her. I had a terrible time deciding which plant was a morning glory or a bean plant.
So did Tessa!! We realized she had "rescued" morning glories the first section of frame and pulled the beans!!!
If you ever find yourself in such a predicament look at the very bottom leaves of the plants to compare!
Note to all- NEVER EVER plant morning glories anywhere near your garden. Or any space you don't want them to take over and be happy.
Another thing about morning glories is I have tried planting them in this ball planter that I put together from scrap metal that my brother had. The drattin flowers struggle and struggle and have yet to be pretty like it is suppose to. But yet they grew enough to flower a few blooms and drop seeds in the rock landscaping below where they flourished there til yanked!
Another thing about morning glories is I have tried planting them in this ball planter that I put together from scrap metal that my brother had. The drattin flowers struggle and struggle and have yet to be pretty like it is suppose to. But yet they grew enough to flower a few blooms and drop seeds in the rock landscaping below where they flourished there til yanked!
This summer we took out the rich potting soil and filled the ball with the manure we put on the garden. Tessa chose some really cute morning glories to plant in there for a different variety. Most of the seeds sprouted and we hope there will be much beauty from them!
Happy gardening!
3 comments:
Beautiful garden. I never realized that morning glories could be such a pain. Hope your humidity has subsided.
Jane
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeese cool it off before the 20th! Will try to stop to see you while we are yet again in Iowa!!
Your garden looks great! I love morning glories too but I am thinking that I won't be planting any!!
Oh! My! GOSH!!!! I have never seen humidity like that before...ugh!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/
Post a Comment