Sunday, August 1, 2010

Boy Food........

We have made alot of food for the guys in WY.
One of this years favorites are the granola bars. Seth with his gluten intolerance can have these too.

A jelly roll pan makes 24 bars. Or more.


Tessa has mastered them. Me not so much. I was informed that I didnt press them into the pan enough so ended up with a bag of crumbles.

Bagged individually in attempt for the bars to be consumed one at a time.

Granola Bars

4 c. quick oats

1/2-1 c packed brown sugar

1/2-1 tsp salt

1 1/2 c pecan/walnuts

1 c flaked coconut

1/2-3/4 c. butter


1/2-3/4 c honey

1/3 c mini chocolate chips

Mix oats, brown sugar, coconut, and nuts together.

Heat butter til melted. Add salt and honey. Mix well.

Pour over dry ingredients. When mixed well then add chocolate chips.

Transfer to lightly greased 15x10x1 pan. Press in pan well.

Bake at 425* for 13-17 min til lightly golden brown.

Let cool.

Enjoy!

We have cut down the recipe as it was way too sweet we thought. And of course, by skimming down amounts we cut down on the calories and the cost.

The first measurement is what we use. And the second measurement is what the original recipe called for.

Before we head to WY for the weekend Tessa has to make a few batches to bring along.

8 comments:

Pat MacKenzie said...

They look and sound good. Your boys are lucky to have such a caring and diligent mom.

Kath said...

With me laid up the credit goes to their diligent sister. This batch wasnt perfect and I was told so!!
lol

Mum-me said...

This is exactly the kind of recipe I've been looking for to make for school lunches, rather than buy the overpriced and over-chemicalized (is that a word) store bought muesli bars. And this recipe doesn't have any fancy ingredients like many others I've looked at. Will certainly be trying these.

Hope you are up on your feet soon - or perhaps you should feign injury a little longer (after you are better) so you can be waited upon a bit more?

The Silver Age Sara said...

Sounds good and looks really healthy too. I'm like you. I would have ended up with bags of crumbles but those are just as good.

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

I will have to try these. They really sound good.

What we don't do for our men!

Jane said...

I'm always looking for a good granola bar recipe. Thanks!

Jane

DayPhoto said...

I was just wishing I had a good gluten free granola recipe! Thank you!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Hannah said...

Those look great! Not too much sugar, either. I'll have to try them.