Friday, April 4, 2008

Flowers.........


I love flowers.
I love all kinds of flowers.
I love growing them too.
I also love receiving them occasionally from my hubby that also loves flowers.
But fresh cut flowers are spendy little buggers most of the time.

Daryl and I have this thing.
When we go shopping together we always try to take a moment to smell the roses at the store.
We stop and admire all of them.
Comment on how beautiful all the colors are.
How they would look on the center of the table.
Then we make our choice.
Daryl will say "these are for you,my dear wife" and point out the desired flowers for the moment.
I blush and say thank you.
Comment on how sweet he is.
Then we walk away empty handed and leave the flowers in the buckets.
We also usually leave other customers standing there thinking they should call security cuz there are some loons on the loose.
But,hey, we had our moment.
We have other important things to buy like groceries!!




These are cosmos from my garden a couple years ago.
Tessa made the bouquet up and then had a photo op with them.


Also from our garden.
I have always loved sunflowers even as a kid.
Then one year my dad grew a whole field of them instead of corn or wheat.
I was overjoyed.
Whenever I see sunflowers I think of my dad who has been gone from us for 19 years.
Every year we grow them in the garden.
They are the most fun plant to ever grow.
They grow and grow and grow!!!
This particular one reached about at least 14 ft. tall.

My garden this year is going to have an abundance of flowers.
We are setting up for a crazy summer schedule and I will not have time to preserve produce like I usually do so we will plant lots of flowers in the garden space.
I just need a self watering variety.
Self weeding would be great too!!

I am a sucker for buying started plants.
I just love to fill the pots on the deck with some beauties.
But with filling my garden space I am going to need ALOT of plants.
That is not in the budget.
So I am going to have to use the packets of seeds.
I have only ever used sunflowers ,marigolds,and four o'clocks with success from seed.

So the question of the day is....
What flowers from seed do you recommend planting?
What has been a success for you?

2 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Great post.
I love your flower giving routine. Lots of love but save on the cash, great plan.

CindyDianne said...

Well, Bluebonnets are my favorite, but I've never managed to get the finicky State Flower of Texas to respond to my wishes for purpley-blue goodness!