On our way to Rapid City a while back (to hear Tessa and the All State Chorus perform) we took the scenic route.
Clark and Seth did not have school so we wanted to fit in some "tourist" time.
They were quite small, like 3 and 4 yrs old, the first time they went to the Badlands. They dont remember that trip though but they will this one.
They thoroughly enjoyed the detour off the interstate. Such an unexpected beauty almost hidden off in the distance.
Hiking the snow laden trails was fun for them but not so much for me. I could not stop shivering -wind + snow=cold!
Clark was enthralled with the mud aka clay! By the time we left to meet up with Daryl who was waiting for us to wind our way thru the scenic route he had clay EVERYWHERE! Boys will be boys!
Of course, one of them had to provide the one-liner for the trip. In Seth's excitement he was sure he seen an animal up on top of the peaks. " There's a...There's a...There's a snow goat!"
It was only snow. But we made sure to search for a "snow goat" in the Black Hills.
This flatlander only got freaked out once. I decided to let Clark drive so I could take pictures and he was begging to drive part of the trip.
That was a loooong 5 minutes!! His driving his mama ended abruptly. Right in the middle of the road. It wasnt a big deal as there was only three other cars in the whole park on that cold blustery day.
If you are ever travelling across South Dakota take the time to enjoy the view of the Badlands.
12 comments:
What a country we live in! There is such diversity in the scenery! Thank you for showing me The Badlands!
Beautiful pictures. The Badlands are very pretty.
Thank you for the photos of the Badlands! I have always wanted to see them.
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/
They are pretty. I have been there before... but it was hot (o: I know what you mean about letting the kids drive. I still hate to ride with my 23 year old. I think he tries to scare me.
What a strange an interesting place, with a strange and interesting name!
Sounds like you guys had fun. Always great to road trip with the family.
your pics take me back to my childhood when my family traveled to the Badlands on our vacation - truly beautiful out west. If my memory serves, bandits used to hide out there which is how the area got it's name. Our country has so much to offer in the way of sightseeing and places to travel for vacations.
I know what you mean about the driving thing. Corky would come back white as a sheet. So then it was mom to do the job. Takes alot of patience. The Badlands are beautiful to see. We never seen it in the snow though.
the pictures are beautiful...
We've visited the badlands a couple of times but never in the winter. It's incredibly beautiful. Lloyd and I went there on our 25th anniversary trip 13 years ago.
What a beautiful part of your country! They look so pretty especially with the frosting of snow!
I have ALWAYS wanted to visit there and I so enjoyed the photos. Amazing country we have.
P.S. - You asked about living in our RV. MM said no. Too expensive running the generator and we're trying to sell it so we have to keep it clean and relatively dog free.
Have a wonderful holiday!
Post a Comment