Friday, June 25, 2010

Melons On The Brain......

When purchasing a whole watermelon.......how do you "check" it for ripeness?
A watermelon expert told me a few years back that you always look at the stem. If it is starting to dry down on the melon then it is ripe. Never buy a green stemmed watermelon.
So I always check. Dig to the bottom of the bin if necessary to find one with a vine-ripened stem. And seldom have I been disappointed if the stem was drying and brown.
I remember my dad "knocking" on the melons to find the right one. That never worked for me as they all sound the same....to me!! If I remember correctly he wanted one that sounded "hollow".
Of course chosing a cantaloupe is another whole ball game. A stem that is brown is usually a rotten melon. Same as for a honeydew.
So how do you chose a watermelon?

5 comments:

Jane said...

Gosh, it has been years since I bought a watermelon. I usually opt for one of really small ones and in general, I have been lucky in picking a ripe one. However, no tips here on picking the best of the bunch.

Jane

CindyDianne said...

I do three things:

1. Check for a dried stem
2. Check for a yellowed belly (showing it laid on the ground ripening)
3. Thump it. It should sound like thumping the bottom of a leather soled boot.

:-D

That's how we do it anyway, y'all!

grammy said...

So funny...I always knock on the melon
and have never really known WHY (o:
I will try the stem thingy
your garden is definitely green
lots of work though
have you been safe in all the storms?

Renata said...

Thanks for the tip - I had given up buying full watermelons because I always got caught, but will give this a go - I have too many watermelon eaters here now to buy the cut pieces!
Hope you have a great week
Renata:)

Pat MacKenzie said...

I never buy watermelon. I must be the only person on the face of the earth that doesn't like them...never did, never will. Glad you've found the secret to selecting a good one though.